From idea to sustainable business
The incubation & acceleration programs
At the French South African Tech Labs, we believe that the success of a start-up is not only built during the incubation phase but first and foremost during the acceleration phase. Indeed, the incubation prevents an early fail whereas the acceleration helps to consolidate and strengthen the business and transform a young start-up into a mature and sustainable company.
This is why we have decided to split our program into 2 phases:
1) a 6 month incubation phase for selected projects, fully sponsored by SEDA and METHYS
2) an acceleration phase, up to 24 months, offered for successfully incubated start-ups
The FSAT Labs and its partners work closely, providing a range of services for our start-ups.
A. Strategy Services:
FSATL works with you to create a well-defined business plan and marketing strategy based on extensive market research, competitive analysis, and your specific objectives.
• Develop business plan and strategic marketing plan: Market positioning and value proposition based on market research, analysis and interviews with key stakeholders
• Market research & competitive analysis: Market validation with potential buyers
• Go-to-market / Launch strategy: summary report defining the best way for your specific business to enter and grow in South Africa
B. Marketing & sales:
Once the market entry strategy is defined, the next step is to find the best South African sales targets and partners. FSATL can become an extension of your sales & marketing team and help you throughout the entire launch process.
• Strategic partnerships identification & introduction
• Lead generation & sales support – defining and implementing your marketing strategy and communication plan, revamping websites, developing marketing materials, digital marketing & PR, plus other types of lead generation programs
• Product development: Refining and adapting your product’s user interface to fit the South African target users & buyers
• Traditional Marketing Services/Trade Marketing: Aside from their online marketing tactics, FTSAL will also provide advertising, direct mail and press release services. They will assist you in locating trade shows and event planning that will help you most cost-effectively reach your target market.
o Advertising – TV, Radio, Print
o Tradeshow identification, collateral materials and sales support
o Public relations
o Print collateral — brochure/catalogues
o Event planning
C. Digital Services:
• User roles and stories (UX) – Customer Experience Expert
• User interface design, (UI)
• Software development (Java, .Net, PHP, iOS, Android)
• QA testing
• Usability testing
D. Support Services:
• Office at the FSAT Labs (office space equipped with wifi, conference area can be provided, event hosting…)
• Company setup – Sole Proprietor, CC, Company
• Bank account setup
• HR services
• Bookkeeping services
E. Legal Services:
FSATL will assist you in any business contracts, employment agreements, trademark or intellectual property issues and to ensure that you are in regulatory compliance with State and Federal requirements.
• Business contracts
• Employment agreements
• Intellectual property
• Regulatory compliance
F. Accounting, Tax & Financial Management Services:
FSATL will assist you in all month-to-month as well as year-end accounting and filings such as monthly creditor payments, management accounts, employee payroll, quarterly reporting, year-end processing and SARS.
• Reminder email/Phone calls for Accounts Receivable
• Bank control to manage creditors
• Employee payroll services
• Bank reconciliation
• Monthly management accounts
• Management reporting on cash flow and funds flow
FSATL incubation is based on strong mentorship. French Tech Labs startups get access to free mentoring sessions with selected high profile entrepreneurs who share their passion for supporting newcomers with great ideas for the South African market. The French Tech Labs team helps you through the process and ensures that you find the right match according to your needs.
H. Financial support by participating in the fundraising process:
Our connection to Silicon Cape and French Tech Cape Town ecosystems allows us to have a strong network of venture capitalists (VCs), angel investors and other investment sources.
Our funding access process is composed of three milestones that give entrepreneurs the keys to successful fundraising:
• Pitch preparation: we refine your business model and help prepare you to deliver a top notch investor pitch
• Introductions to potential investors: we identify the best-suited potential investors and organise first touchpoints with those investors
• Roadshow to interested investors: we organise accompany you to every investor meeting while providing preparatory coaching